This stained-glass window depicting an alpine racer hangs in the Mount Hood ski museum in Government Camp, Oregon (for more information, see page 25).
15 Ski History Central
On ISHA’s colorful new Website, you can read Skiing History articles, conduct research, renew your mem- bership, view ski art and more
18 Why the Disney Deal Flopped
A special Skiing History investigation suggests that Walt Disney’s proposed Mineral King resort in California was doomed from the start. by Ken Castle (with additional research by Skip Voorhees)
25 Oregon Tale
The Mount Hood Cultural Center and Museum in the village of Government Camp celebrates an iconic mountain’s contribution to skiing. by Bill Keil
3 Readers Respond
The Roffe jacket that Robert Redford wore; laminated skis from long ago.
5 Where Seniors Ski Free
Dozens of resorts across the U.S. offer the ultimate discount: no charge for seniors.
6 Short Turns
Hoping for snow in Sochi as the Winter Games approach; snowboard-oriented resort in the works.
7 Snapshots in Time
Atomic physicists on skis (1933); Vail first supports, but later smothers, Colorado ski promotion (1963).
9 Museum News
U.S. Hall of Fame elects six; does Laurent Donzé own the world’s largest cross-country ski collection?
Fatality fictions in cyberspace, a recurring Internet hoax.
12 Where Are They Now?
Catching up with the World Cup-winning Wenzel siblings.
28 Media Reviews
John Fry reviews Greg Stump’s Legend of Aahhh’s.
Olympic cross-county racer and coach Mike Gallagher.
31 Skiing Heritage Week
Register now for ISHA’s annual gathering.
32 Last Run
Hot Dr. Pepper, an ill-conceived après-ski drink from 1965.
COMING UP IN FUTURE ISSUES
- Inside Stories from the Winter Olympics: Franz Klammer, Alberto Tomba, Hermann Maier and more!
- Golden Years: From Park City in Utah to Butternut in the Berkshires, many ski resorts are celebrating 50 years this season
- Photo Essay: High Alpine Art: In the 1920s, posters featuring glorious mountain scenes (and radiant women) helped to establish Switzerland as a ski and winter sports mecca.
- Classic Ski Bars: Sun Valley’s Duchin Room
- Where Are They Now? C.B. Vaughan, Jr.
- Resorts Then and Now: Jay Peak (VT) Royal Gorge (CA)